Saturday, January 14, 2006

I hope you all are having a great weekend after a great week in school. I am very excited for this term; I think that we shall do many exciting activities and projects. I want to thank each of you, all the adventurers, for participating so well in class last week. Your attitudes and respectful behaviour made class very fun, and we were able to get a lot done because of your cooperation.

As you are all very aware, Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday is this weekend, and there is no school on Monday. I don't want any of you sitting around bored over the long weekend so I assigned you a few tasks to complete before Tuesday:

1. Complete you "I have a dream..." dioramas. Use the "I Have a Dream" speech as your inspiration, but be creative.

2. Write you own "I have a dream..." speech to accompany your diorama. I distributed a speech template in class to guide you with two prompts: "I have a dream that someday..." and "This is what I will do to make this dream a reality:"

If you'd like to enhance your speech, you could make a picture or a poster to illustrate some of your ideas. If you have access to a computer, you could make a brief PowerPoint presentation to accompany your speech.

3. I also assigned that you write your thoughts on the exert from Dr. King's speech: “…they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character…” This should be one page.

Remember that we are contributing to Thursday's "Islandhood". If you would like to do something extra for our Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. theme, you could create a fun word puzzle at http://puzzlemaker.school.discovery.com. Create your own list of vocabulary words associated with Dr. King, his ideas and philosophies, and create a word hunt or crossword puzzle.

I have also posted this information on our class webpage at Scholastic.com. On that page, I've uploaded the handouts I gave in class. If you need one, go to that site to print a new one.

Have fun!!!

I'll see you all on Tuesday!

Mr. Hatcher

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home